Lent is a time for reflecting: for reminding ourselves of the great gift given to us in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, who is the Christ; for renewing our gratitude; for refreshing our spirits with the living water he promises to pour into our hearts and lives; for making decisions to follow him more closely and practicing those decisions through the classic spiritual disciplines of the Christian faith.
It is a time for making room for prayer and listening; for taking time to search the scripture; for reaching out in acts of service; for worshiping more regularly, for stretching our hearts to be generous with others and the church.
I find it helpful to give something up during this season. I don't do it as a punishment, but as a way of reminding myself who and whose I am. As my mind and heart reach for the familiar comfort of food, or television, or chocolate, or a soda -- or whatever I've given up-- I have an opportunity to say to myself, "Just for this season, I'm going to give this bit of time and attention to the needs of my spirit, instead of the needs of my body. Just for this season, each time I yearn for that little burst of endorphins to keep me going, I'm going to turn my heart to God, so that I remember that it is only in God that I ever keep going."
This Lent I'm considering fasting from food one day each week (I'm a real addict), and from the internet one day each week. We'll see how it goes. How about you? What might you be "giving up" for the season.
It is also helpful to add something. I'm adding this blog, and will be trying to get a daily devotion posted from my Life Journaling most days. I hope you will check in and give me some feedback about those posts. Let's make it a conversation -- a hopeful conversation -- for this Holy Season.
Join us down at Spirit of Hope tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, for quiet personal meditation and imposition of ashes 6:30 - 7:30 a.m. or Noon - 1:00 p.m. Then come by at 6:30 p.m. for a service of candle light, scripture, silence, prayers, ashes, and gathering around the cross.
Nice job the blog- it looks very nice!
ReplyDelete