Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Life Changing Bible Study Ash Wednesday

Scripture:  Mark 16:1   When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the Mother of Jesus, and Salome brought spices so they could embalm him.  (The Message)    
Observation:  They came in love, to do what they knew to do to honor Jesus.  They loved him and brought spices to put with his body to preserve it in death, because they could not imagine that he was yet alive.  They wanted to remember his goodness and grace and liberating presence, to honor the past, now that he was gone, because their minds could not wrap around the truth of his ongoing presence and power.
Application:  In what ways am I bringing spices to preserve something I really believe to be dead and gone?  How does my mind fail to wrap around the truth of Jesus' presence here and now, at Starbucks, in the heart of Peoria?  How do I fail to imagine his power to surprise, awaken, renew, upset, and deliver me right here and now?    I need this day of ashes and reflection; this day of turning back to God, to remind myself:  He is not dead.  He is alive.  And because he is alive, I can live renewed, refreshed, re-focused by his love. Thanks be to God!
Prayer:  God help me allow it to be so, for Jesus' sake.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment